I broke up with him a year ago but I regret it. Can I still get back with him?

I broke up with my ex a year ago---a breakup he was opposed to. He was devastated and made this clear to me over numerous phone calls, texts, and emails for the few months that followed the breakup. We last talked several months ago and he was still bitter/resentful that he had lost me. It has been a year since the breakup and I'm unsure about my decision. It is as if the breakup is just now hitting me and I'm now regretting it...badly. I called him a week ago to ask if everything is alright, to which he said yes. He informed me he'd be in town for Thanksgiving with his parents and asked if I wanted to meet up, to which I agreed. Unlike our other couple of post-breakup meetings, he was cold towards me this time. Instead of reaching over to steal a hug/kiss, he kept his distance. He asked me if I was dating now and then went on to say he has been seeing someone new for a few months. He listed pros and cons about his date. The "pros" are qualities the date has that I don't have and the "cons" are qualities I have that his date does not have. Then twice he said that maybe he should just stay single. I don't understand. Is he over me? It's only been a year and I was his first love. Could he possibly be over me already? Can I get back with him still?

32

Most Helpful Girl

• It sounds like he is trying to make you feel gulity about the break up. With him telling you the pros and cons of the date he had. And how the pros were what you werent and the cons were what you used to be. Since he was so devastated with your breakup, it definitely sounds like that he is trying to get back at you for the pain that you put him through. Now he is trying to do the same for you by talking about his date and what he has said about it. If you really regret your decision, you have to talk to him about it. Face to face, you have to have a conversation with him about why you honestly broke up with him in the first place, what you have learned from it etc. If you want to see if it'll work out with him again, you have to be honest with him about everything to see what he honestly thinks about the situation. It's hard to say if you can get back together with him. That's something that only you can figure out with by talking to him about it. It's all up to you about whether you want to get back together with him.

What Guys Said 2

What Girls Said 2

• You broke his heart, poor thing and you're going to have to make it up to him.

The girl sounds like a rebound. Usually they go for the complete opposite of you and compare them. Honestly, he's only seeing what he missed in you. If he wasn't still interested, I'd doubt he would want to meet up. You're going to have to talk to him - BE HONEST

• Try to remember why you guys broke in the first place. Why did you guys break up?

• I broke up with him because it was approaching our 4yr anniversary and it occurred to me I still could not say I love him. Well, I loved him but I was not "in love" with him. He was perfectly alright with that because what was more important to him was him dating the one HE loved. His was definitely unconditional love and I can't believe I let that go. I really regret it.