Does this actually work?

My mum told me that the best way to get over someone is to just go out and "to get over someone, you need to get under someone else." After my initial horror that my own mother suggested this to me, I realised I'd heard it before..

Is it actually that easy?
Updates:
Just a quick point, my mum did give other advice too, like it's been a while since we broke up but I still miss him as a companion, not so much as himself anymore, hence why she said this. In the initial stage she was very supportive towards me and moving on and further developing me. I was just wondering more if it works to get over a specific person rather than the relationship...

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No, It feels like an intense need for someone‚Äôs approval to feel good about yourself, otherwise, you're not okay or enough. love who you are inside and out, and keep pushing forward.
    sorry, your mum is wrong about what she said (No offense).

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Everyone has their own way of getting over somebody. Do what you think feels right, and don't feel pressured into using sex as breakup therapy.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• No it is not.
    Very often, that first "next person" is what is called "the rebound relationship". These are usually disastrous. That said, your mother may be right because at least attempting the rebound relationship can help break the remaining bonding feelings that you have toward the ex. If the rebound relationship fails, then take a break and let life happen to you. Most likely, the next relationship will "fall into your lap" and it will be good.

0|0
    0|0
  • It patches the hole and helps with the self esteem aspect for me. I find people just jump into new relationships without taking time to work on themselves though which tends to just cause problems to repeat.

0|0
    0|0
  • It can work I guess, but it should never be used as a cover up or shortcut to helping yourself get back on track. Because believe me, in the long run it will only put off the healing process and everyone needs that time to reflect before getting with other people

0|0
    0|0
  • If you become a slut like your mother suggests by hooking up with someone, don't be surprised later on when you find a good loyal person and they don't want you because of that kind of behavior.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know if it works or not it's a fun way to try though

0|0
    0|0
  • Your mum said that... lolol

0|0
    1|0
  • No it's not that easy

0|0
    0|0
  • No, that's just a distraction. I'd expect a little more wisdom from a Mom to be honest. This society is focused on external solutions, but most external ''solutions'' simply become distracts. Most solutions are internal.

Instead of dealing with them selves, most just look to others to mask the problem, then they repeat the same.

Now that you know your Mom gives advice like this, you will know not to follow it blindly.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes