Why has he tried to add me back after only two weeks of us being broken up?

Me and my ex boyfriend broke up two weeks ago, I’m the one who ended the two year long distance relationship as he cancelled on me for he second time in a couple of months however at the time which I did it i was very angry and upset. After having a couple of days to think about it I realised i may have really overreacted and felt like I had made a massive mistake so I messaged him to tell him this (I know I probably shouldn’t have done this straight away) he basically just said we should stay good friends and move on and then told me he loves and cares for me. But at this moment in time I don’t think I could be just his friend and I told him this and said goodbye and then deleted him of all social media so that I wouldn’t constantly be looking at his profile and pictures however only a week after me deleting him and no contact he’s send me a friend request and I’m very confused as I made it pretty clear I don’t want to just be his friend at this moment in time as my feeling are very strong towards him and I still love and care for him a lot. I haven’t accepted the friend request as I’m really missing him and finding the whole situation very hard. Why’s he trying to add me back on everything?
8
4