What is his deal?

So a colleague approached me and made it clear he liked me. So we were seeing each other for a few weeks until he was acting distant then told me he was seeing another girl so that was that. Anyway I have acted calm etc at work while he treats me like dirt, acts very cold and distant. I rose above it until it was getting ridiculous so I told him that I didn't think he was treating fair (i. e. civil) and he told me not to 'speak like that to him'. When I didn't say it in a confronting/rude way whats so ever. He told me I can leave if I want to etc and I ignored it.

Fast forward to this week and he's the opposite, encouraging me to 'stay' and how colleagues are willing to do things because I care (this was over text). Haven't spoken to him properly in 2 weeks until yesterday he went up to me and greeted me (he sounded nervous/hesitant) and even cracked a joke/smiled... what gives? I have always remained civil but I see bad things in him now so not matter how 'nice' he is now it won't change my opinion. What his is deal? He also hasn't mentioned this 'girl' ever since. And when he first told me about her he told me he wasn't looking for anything until he 'met this girl'
What is his deal?
1
1