How can you treat someone you once loved so terribly?

My recent ex of two years dumped me with little to no warning. He got distant over something petty (that we normally would resolve no problem) And dumped me over completely fixable reasons that he deemed "personality traits" of mine. (Pretty much blamed everything on me in the end) What kills me is we had barely any issues. We always worked things through, were very happy. He was an extremely loving, sweet compassionate partner. We had always talked about how relationships were work, and that you have to be committed to fixing things. He continued to show signs of love right up until this happened. When he dumped me though... he just got nasty. Turned in to a person I had never seen before. Told me he "felt nothing". That we haven't built anything and that I "fucking nag him all the time" (which is something I always was careful not to do when expressing my concerns) Blamed me for getting rid of his bed when we moved in together! Said "there were signs, you would have seen them if you opened your eyes" It was like he was intentionally saying things that would hurt most. It crushed me. I tortured myself combing through everything for signs. Nothing stood out. Nothing added up. If anything there was just more proof he loved me. He moved out a few days later. Threw out anything that had to do with me before he left. And then I found out he's with a girl from work. Dated their relationship two weeks after he dumped me. We initially had bonded on how we had both been cheated on in the past and how we felt about it. I even asked him during the break up if there was someone else. It doesn't make any sense. I believed we were truly still in love, he certainly acted like it. I can't believe he treated me like this at all let alone, but then started dating someone else so quickly. Everyone was shocked! Even if he had feelings for someone else, how do you do this to someone you once loved? Don't our memories deserve more respect than that?

812

Most Helpful Girl

• Your memories and you yourself deserve more respect than that. I know it's hurting you right now but be thankful it happened after two years not twenty. I think about 3 sentences in I figured your boyfriend already had some girl to replace you. That's why bes being so nasty, he's got no reason really for leaving and treating you that way. People do that when they have another person waiting for them. But obviously they both lack respect for others and themselves. Would you date a guy who is in a relationship and settle for second because you're his dirty secret? Probably not, but that's the kind of girl he's got now. Be glad, try to smile through your tears and remember his cruelty is really not about you, it's a reflection of his guilty feelings. You were good enough for two years so if you're so dang bad then why did he stay that long? I'll tell you why, cuz you weren't that bad until he decided to screw some other girl. And now you're his scapegoat. Girl, ... you dodged a bullet! Celebrate and post your party pics all over and make sure you smile and mention how good it feels to be free of that turd!