Why do you believe women initiate divorces more than men in general?

You'd think there would be an equal amount from each gender but based on research studies, women not only make up the majority who initiate these divorce cases but it's by a landslide with most statistics stating that 70%+ of divorces are initiated by them! Why do you think this is the case? You'd think with men being more aggressive that they would have their fair share of divorces but this doesn't seem to be the case.

3679

Most Helpful Girls

• Greed. They know the court system will favor them, and they try to move up the hierarchy very quickly. So they get the man's wallet and go f'ck around. And I know most people wouldn't expect this to come from a woman, but I am sick of this disgusting attitude that women in this generation have.

• Men have more to lose in a divorce than a woman. If you subsidize a certain behavior, you'll get more of it.
    I don't agree with alimony.

Also, men tend to become really distant and cheat when a relationship is failing or there's problems. Then the woman gets fed up and leaves. I know they say most divorces are because of finance, but myself personally would be reserved for cheating, or abuse of any kind.

Also, women pick questionable partners. They pick men who they hope will change. But that's a dumb strategy in my opinion. Pick a partner who already has the traits they like, instead of hoping he'll acquire them later. I know some guys do this too, or overlook serious red flags, but women do it more. I can't tell you how many women think being "exclusive", marriage or even kids will change a man, only to be disappointed when he's still cheating after the vows were exchanged.

Most Helpful Guys

• That's an interesting statistic. Do you know what the definition of "initiate" was in this research? I'm curious because in my case she was the first one that mentioned the idea of divorce, but we stayed married for a while after that and I'm the one that actually initiated the separation, moved out, and filed for divorce. So I'm not sure which group I fall into.

Here's my guess about why women initiate it more. I think it might be because guys are less willing to admit that something's wrong. A lot of guys like to think they can fix anything and it's harder for them to accept failure at something. My guess is that the statistics would be similar for who initiates marriage counseling when the problems first start to get bad. That's something else I did, but from what I've heard most guys resist even going, much less be the ones to suggest it. If so, that seems to be evidence for my theory that guys think they can fix it and don't need anyone's help - or perhaps are just unwilling to acknowledge that the marriage is failing and needs outside help.

• This question got me curious and prompted me to start a poll of the GaG community to see what the percentages are here. Of course a lot of users here have never been married or are still married, so I might not get enough responses for it to be meaningful.

• This is something worth thinking about because while many articles use initiation in a vague way, I'd like to think it's whoever called out the divorce first when the papers were signed over. In your case, you would have been the initiator since you were the one to who decided to file the papers before your ex-wife, even though she "mentioned" the idea before you did.

As to your other question about this matter, you could also gather data from people who have divorced parents like I do or from a close friend who experienced this same thing. It might not be entirely accurate to what you're looking for but it's something! Thank you very much for your highly valued opinion on this matter!

• We all know the reason why women initiate more divorces. Divorce courts favor them and after the divorce they still plenty of options for men to date while the man is ruined.

• LOL, it's because MEN have the most to lose during the divorce.
    whereas most women from my observation only do it when they can guarantee their financial stability and lifestyle.
    If the guy has much more money than her, she will "try much harder" :) than in the scenario where their income is relative.
    This is one of the main reason. Most men (actually all men i know) make more money than their partners, some by 5-10x.

please don't hurt me