How many hours of sleep do you need to function properly?

So jealous of those who can manage on just 4 hours of sleep. I need at least 7-8 or I can't function properly the rest of the day :(

1310

Most Helpful Girl

• I can manage 3 to 4 hours of sleep if I'm constantly moving, but when I only get that amount of sleep and I have to go to class the next day it sucks. As of right now, I am sick because I haven't been getting enough sleep and my body has been breaking down.

What Guys Said 10

• I can do with just 4 or 5 hours for a few days but after that I just stop being able to focus and get a horrible headache until I sleep for half a day :D

I think 7 hours a night is enough, although I prefer 8 :)

• yah I hear you there girly. because I can't function for shizz off 4-5hrs of sleep, I've done it many of times but I would definitely prefer more sleep if possible.

• I can't sit and focus on a lecture on less than 7 or 8, but if I'm working on something or moving around I can get by with as little as 4.

• i try to get at least 6, but ideally I want 7 or 8.

• I manage on 3-4 and I'm 16, when I was younger I would sleep only a couple days a week.

• i also need 7 -8 hours sleep , I can't feel good with that sleep , its just so important

• 8-9 hours. but sometimes I can go with less.

• About 7 or 8 will do, which is all I really get anyway.

• i can get 5 hours and I'm fine all day but barely

• prior to contrary belief. you CAN function properly on less than 7-8. our age typically needs 7-8 while full grown adults really only need about 6 or 7. I myself have a hard time functioning if I don't get 12 (twelve) a half days worth of sleep. its cause I have trained my body to do that. the best way to fix it is to try medicine. 12 hours is too much for normal people its just what I'm accustomed to, and its something I need to change in order to live in this world properly

What Girls Said 12

• I can function on like 4-5, but prefer to get a good solid 8-9 if I can. It really depends mainly on how your sleep cycles work, and which stage you're in when you wake up. Like sometimes I'll wake up to go pee after being in bed for 6 hours, and feel okay enough to stay awake, but I still have time left to sleep, so I tend to take advantage of it. Then when I wake up another 2-3 hours later, I'm way more tired than I would have been if I'd just stayed up, even though I got more sleep. It's because I'm interrupting a deeper stage of sleep when I wake up the second time [usually by alarm].

• i need at least 8 hours of sleep and drink lots of tea to help me stay awake and energized

• i can function perfectly with 5 hours. maybe less=)

• 7. If it's any less I'll end up needing a nap.

• i can function on 4-5, I usually get about 6hrs.

• Dont call me lazy but I need 9-10. I never get that much sleep daily though

;0) I'm a sleepy head

• I function fine on 4-5, but feel much better on 8+

• 4-5 hours are plenty for me.

• Yeah, same. 7-8 hours. Heh, never really bothered me though.

• 8 hours

• Woah lots of low numbered answers, I honestly need like 10-12. I don't know if that's normal or not, I may need to see a doctor considering if I wake up early I'm exhausted 2 hours after getting up.

lucky people =)

• It varies person to person. Some people can survive on like two hours whereas other people need 10 hours.