Is this really cheating?

I sent a handful of messages (10 total) to a girl this past august. My girlfriend of 2+ years found these messages and broke up with me because of them. She claimed it was the same thing as cheating on her. Is what I did really cheating?

Message content below:Me: you're pretty :)her: you're sexxy :) :)me: you're gorgeous!her: you make me smile :)me: you make me happy!her: well. I'm at work and I'm bored so I thought I'd send you an email.. hope you're having a good day!

52

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah...thats breaking up material for sure. It's sounds like you were trying to get with her even though you HAD a girlfriend. What would you feel like if your girlfriend was saying the same thing to some other dude? Your girlfriend did what she had to do...kudos to her!:)

What Girls Said 4

• Sending messages to another girl and talking to another girl is not cheating - you've got a right to have female friends just like she's got a right to have male friends.

However, what you did was very inappropriate. You don't say those things to another girl when you're in a girlfriend. You told a girl she's pretty, gorgeous, and that she makes you happy - those are the sorts of things you should be telling your girlfriend. I hold the belief that your girlfriend or wife should be the one that gets the best part of you, and when you start sharing that with other girls it puts them on an equal level with your significant other. Your girlfriend wants to be, and rightfully so, the "light of your life" and by putting another girl on the same plane you are insulting and hurting your girlfriend.

I'd also feel a little cheated if I was her - especially since she had to find out about them rather than you telling her and being honest yourself.

• For most people, those are the types of messages you'd send to your girlfriend or a girl that you're interested in. So yeah, I don't really blame her.

• id breakup with you too :/

• Yea if I was your Girlfriend I would do the same thing.

What Guys Said 2

• It depends on what you said. When I am in a relationship I still have many friends that are girls and I would tell my Girlfriend if I am going to go *study or hang out with them or if something funny happened I would tell my GF. You don't want your Girlfriend to feel like your hiding stuff.

• Yeahh..i think this has potential to break most relationships. It would be okay to message the other girl, and the messages you sent aren't actually considered cheating, but It's flirting with another girl when you already have a GF. You should be sending your Girlfriend these messages, not the her lol.