Do you believe in a Prenuptial Agreement ?

I believe in prenups even if I I was broke and married rich I would still want one its no big deal to me what do you think?
  • Believe in it if you have the money
    Vote A
  • Believe in it if you're the broke one
    Vote B
  • Its a setup for failure and don't agree
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
6d
I mean for me people don't plan to get divorced but shit happens and u grow apart etc and for me a cheating clause that goes both ways would be ideal, if people have too much to lose they are more cautious about things

0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 95

• Where's the option for believe in it regardless? I don't take money into consideration at all when choosing a partner. They could be the richest person in the world and I wouldn't care. The only thing that matters to me is our chemistry (emotional, physical and communicative). If they want to use their money on me, then that's their own choice, but no one should be "entitled" to their partner's money.

1|3
    0|0
    • 6d

I love that "no should be entitled to their partners money" very apt for me

• Always get a pre-nup. A marriage is a legal contract. Protect yourself.
    Also, as a guy it's not just about money. If you have kids, having a pre-nup that specifically agrees upon shared custody is you best chance of being able to be in thier lives after a divorce. Without it you have no power and little hope.

3|3
    0|0
  • Prenups are not legally binding and they are routinely thrown out by judges in family court. They just provide a false sense of security while actually doing nothing, kinda like the TSA.

0|4
    0|0
  • Do I believe in them? Yes, I have seen them. They exist!

2|5
    0|0
  • It's a difficult question. In general it is better to get a prenup, but like others have pointed out, it may seem like you are planning for divorce already. In a way, it shows you aren't 100% sure.

Nobody could ever be 100% sure about any relationship, but asking for a prenup voices that ever so small sliver of doubt.

0|0
    0|0
  • To me it's a sign you still don't trust your love. If you don't trust the person to still do a prenup then why get married. Oh I know because you love your money more. Don't want to lose it yet you'll invest in stocks where you can go belly up. Hmm... go figure. So no.

1|1
    0|1
  • Financial states can fluctuate. Prenups are essentially a way to prevent the financially. less well off person to trick his/her partner and divorce, taking a large sum of money as required by law.

As such, prenups aree essential to any marriage. In fact so much so that it would be easier to just get rid of unfair laws that penalise the wealthier person in a divorce.

0|1
    0|0
  • Prenuptial is what I believe in..
    But..
    After wedding..
    I will get her ownership to a safe house, whenever she wants to go..
    And after divorce is she is left with nothing because of prenup..
    I will give her a place to live.. And generous living..

1|0
    0|0
  • People say you should trust your partner but honestly when the spark goes so does the loyalty. Basically the poorer partner is going to want to stay at the financial level which are now accustomed to and that means taking more than what they brought in the first place. So yes I agree with pre nups

0|1
    0|0
  • I think its prudent to set things out in advance. I'd like to see custody arrangements for any children from the relationship included aswell, stop all the nonsense and turmoil that comes after a breakup

1|0
    0|0
  • Marriage is legally nothing more nor less than a business partnership.

Normally, the state defines the operating agreement for that partnership. It is much better when the people involved have their own agreement. The government should get out of the marriage business.

0|1
    0|0
  • Absolutely, it should be required by law and respected by law as the primary consideration in the event of divorce. The current status only recognizes prenuptial agreements in amicable divorce agreements. They're almost wholly ignored when the wife challenges it, and mostly respected when the husband challenges it. Divorce and family courts in the US should be burned to the ground and started over from scratch.

0|1
    0|0
  • In some countries should it be by default when the marriage papers get signed.

Working on getting a shitty relationship to make it to work is fucked up from the start, mismatch is a mismatch, especially if it's children in the picture, those tensions and shit between before it get sorted out or walk separate ways messes the children up for life on a mental level in difference of a divorce according to research.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its more complicated than those options. It is a set up for failure, but also, you should be comfortable with who you marry. If your not comfortable enough with them that you don't feel the need to, then thats just a bad relationship, and you are most definitely setting yourself up for failure

1|0
    0|2
    • 5d

Same with business partners right? You shouldn’t go into business with anyone you don’t trust. A handshake should be good enough, right?

I’d say, at a minimum, have conversations with them about what you would do if you did eventually split up. Know what each other thinks about it.

• I really feel that people getting married should trust each other. That said, if there is a WIIIIIIIDE discrepancy in the values that each brings into the marriage, then something like a pre-nup might be in everyone's best interests.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope.

Even if the document is signed, it can (AND ALREADY HAS) been voided/invalidated/over-ruled/nullified countless times in court if the judge unilaterally decides it's somehow unfair.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont believe in a prenup... but what what I've seen in the world... its a necessary evil. You are right, no one plans on divorce... but if they are smart, they can see it coming.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd say it would be very wise to have one but not necessary as not many do it. If the wife is strong and capable of providing for herself, then why should she get 80 percent of everything and the husband gets next to nothing?

Have separate savings accounts and one merged checking, that way in the event of a divorce, she has a sum saved up as well as he does and the only thing you can dispute is the house and checking account.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes every guy should demand a prenup. Absolutely wrong that women can decide they want out and keep half the guys stuff, plus the concept of almony is disgusting.

0|3
    0|0
  • Marriage is a social contract and as long as the conditions are not breaching the rules of the underlying religion, then it's fine. But to put conditions on what would happen in terms of divorce based on personal wishes is bull crap. The very source of the condition of the institution of marriage these days.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 48

• i do beleive planning for the marriage to fail is bad karma. but since i have a daughter from a previous relationship i will expect him to sign away my share of communal property into a trust only for her while she is under 18. luckily he understands she comes first.

sometimes a prenup or will isn't about us, its about preventing people from worry and fighting after us. if its black and white there is no contest.

1|0
    0|1
    • 6d

I'll hv to agree with u on that

• 6d

i also want to note my ex took most of my assets, even though he pays monthly support. but i gave him a car, half the equity from the house and a lot of savings. i really "lost" a lot. and it was no fault.

• Yes. I'll definitely get a prenup before I get married to someone. That doesn't mean I'm counting on us getting divorced, but people can change and do something completely out of character, and I'd want my assets protected incase such a thing would happen.

1|2
    0|0
  • when you marry its for health and sickness, plus all other things, its to share your life with the one you have chosen and they have chosen you,
    processions shouldn't come in to it,
    I was left with a certain amount in a will, it helped set my husband up in business, we have reaped the benefit of sharing ever since, and hope to for years to come,

1|1
    0|0
    • 6d

If possession shouldn’t be factored in when you start the relationship why is it factored in at the end?

• Show All
    • 6d

@vald9inchesthat's just your opiion, don't make it other's as well, if they want that its alright, but for me it's not even on the agenda

• 6d

i never said you have to do it lol all of this is just my opinion but it is reflected in every business relationship and every transaction in the world

• Yes. My parents made a prenup. They've been together for like, what, over 25 years now or something? It's definitely not some sort of set up for failure. You don't get insurance hoping that you'll get into some sort of horrible accident that will make you disabled for the rest of your life. You don't put your seatbelt on because you assume the driver is shitty and can't drive. Getting a prenup is no different from putting a lock on your door. You obviously don't want to get robbed. You want to believe in the good in people, and you wish we lived in a world where we didn't have to lock our doors. But there's no guarantee that nobody will try to break in and steal your things. Likewise, statistics show that there's roughly a 50% chance that your marriage might not work out. Best case scenario is that you won't even have to think, talk or worry about the prenup ever again once it's signed and put away.
    Is it romantic? No, not really. Neither is it awesome to fantasize about getting into a horrible car accident, or to lose all your luggage while traveling, but we get insurances anyway to feel safe. It's not romantic, but it's logical and realistic. Sometimes you need a little bit of realism in your relationship, too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I wouldn't want my marriage to be based on one, since I also really trust my fiancé but well people always trust their spouses at first and some end up screwed up. Just because we can't imagine it will happen to us doesn't mean it won't. So... it's not a bad idea, especially that one may get on drugs or start gambling in future... who knows.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most definitely, not having one has fucked way too many couples. It's the smart thing to do whether you're broke or rich.

1|4
    0|0
  • No I don’t. It’s like the person doesn’t have faith in the marriage. Instead of planning their future together, it’s like they’re planning for what’s to come for divorce.

2|0
    0|2
  • option A I'm a believer that you have to protect yourself, you work hard for your money you don't need anyone to start laying a claim on something they did not earn, but then again even if you don't have money but you know where you are going then it should be in place

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope not all it shouldn't even be a thing coz if i ever marry then i trust you entirely and this feeling should be mutual either me being the one rich or him. But gold diggers are a thing so to each their own. If my partner asked ne to sign one I'd be hurt but I'd sign it anyway to show him he can have trust in me entirely.

0|0
    0|1
  • I don’t call myself rich but because of my age and my hopefully soon retirement, i would protect my assets if I choose to remarry

0|5
    0|0
  • Well, really where you think that marriage is going if you even before starting it think for the end of it? If you're marrying someone it should be from unconditional love...

0|1
    0|3
    • 6d

Imagine if you got married to a man you really loved and he showed it back.

but later for what ever tiny reason he divorces you and you loose your kids, half your money and your husband in one day.
      Not fair is it.

Don't give me that they didn't love you, at the time they did, but what do you know, other humans are unpredictable and no one can't predict or control what another person does.

Prenups are good as you can't tell what another person is going to do even if you love them unconditionally.

I'm for the divorce initiator to take the penalty,( excluding abuse cases).
      They lied about their vow and should be penaltied for it.

Your not thinking about the end when you get a prenup you are taking insurance against your SO's unpredictability.

• 5d

@aman22 You're loving someone not doing any business or anything and for the people of have exception if they are so much worried about these things why you just don't try to be independent... Why you even need money from the people who cheated or left you. If they left you with the kids would you still like to raise your children with their money? They are your own kids and family be responsible doesn't matter if you're girl or guy

• 5d

If they leave you they are breaking a vow which they promised to you.

It's not a business but I don't think having half your money and income taken away, rarely seeing your children and loosing the love of your life because a woman broke her vow with you is fair.

She should get the penalty.
      You should get the alimony from her.
      You should spend the majority of time with the children.
      You stayed true to your vow.
      She didn't, is it that hard to understand that lying should be punished.

• In this day and age with more divorces than marriages I would think a pre-nup is a good idea, unless the other one is the one with the money.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think with today's divorce rate it's stupid not to have a prenup. Even if you don't have money now what if later in the marriage you do have a lot of money?

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont like them. If you're in a loving and trustful relationship, you should be equal. His money is my money, my money is his money.

1|0
    0|2
    • 5d

Ya, except in most marriages women have the philosophy that his money is our money and my money is my money.

Isn't a prenup a sign of love, because it shows that you love each other and not each others money?

• 5d

I had an experience before with my now ex partner. I earn more money than him. When we started looking into buying a house, he asked me if its okay with me that i will be paying a bigger lump of mortgage compared to him cause my salary is higher. I said yes, cause thats what couples are. I didn't see it as my share is bigger than yours. On the other hand, he has been saving money longer than i have, so the deposit for the house will come mostly from him.

• 5d

He therefore asked me for a prenup. Saying that if we break up, then he will get 2/3 of the share. When he told me that he wanted a prenup, i didn't take it well. Cause in my mind, here we are trying to start our life together, and he was already thinking of breaking up. Also, i didn't like how he said that he has been scammed with his money before, it made me wonder what he thought of me. When i didn't mind paying more for the mortgage, which would probably take 20-30 years to pay. Anyway, we end up not buying a house and breaking up, not because of that tho. But prenup is not something i liked based on experience. Maybe if it was brought up in a different manner to me, i would have been more open. I dont know.

• I have no problems with them. Marriage isn’t supposed to be about money. A prenup only comes into play If one person in the relationship thinks it is

0|1
    0|4
  • There's good and bad reasons to have one. They don't make much sense for average folks.

0|0
    0|0
  • Both. If he abandons her knowing she’s poor. She should get a little something. He’s wrong.
    If he has money and she thinks she can divorce and take it all. No, she’s wrong.

0|0
    0|2
  • If a guy wants a pre-nup, I agree. I hate when women get all manipulative and say "If you ask for it, you don't love me". Don't marry such women.

0|2
    0|0
  • I offered my fiance one, he said he trusted me. I wouldn't be against it if he changed his mind.

0|2
    0|0
  • It's s good thing

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes