Would you date a person who was recently in an abusive relationship?

Making this a gender neutral question. Would you be willing to emotionally support/lift up a broken partner?

1429

Most Helpful Guys

• I would be very hesitant to get into a relationship like that. Too many women, once hurt, automatically think all men are like that and therefore men and sex and anything masculine is toxic to them. Starting out in a new relationship is nerve wracking enough without having to walk on eggshells too all the time or constantly being worried she thinks I am going to rape her all the time.

• Yikes dude... this seems to me like a personal problem for you maybe people worry you're going to rape them because you come off creepy and hostile like you do here?

• @Bananaman177 Yep, too easy sometimes. I hope she gets the help she desperately needs!

• I wouldn't bet on it.

• Maybe I'm kind of an asshole but I would have leaned towards "no". Friendship would be something I'd entertain more easily. But I don't wanna be a rebound or a therapist to a girl.

My rules were dating were rather simple like, "Do I enjoy spending time with this girl more often than not? Does spending time with her relieve stress or cause stress more often than not?" And if the answers are favorable for both questions, then I like to stick around. But if they're negative for both, I generally don't want to hang around for long unless things really look to be changing for the better.

• My rules [/for] dating were rather simple like, "Do I enjoy spending time with this girl more often than not? Does spending time with her relieve stress or cause stress more often than not?

• I do still remember carrying her through the snow in Disney Land, as she fainted after a ride, and I remember looking down so fondly while carrying her to the hotel... and I'm not sure if it was vanity for feeling so important in looking after her, or if I genuinely fell for this frail thing in my arms... but in the end I felt very foolish. But I have a tendency to fall for broken things, I find so much humanity there, and it's actually something I have to resist. Because otherwise I'll find myself taking care of them all the time, and getting little in return.

• Oh sorry, I got all drunk and rambly yesterday! But anyway, I haven't had the best experiences with this sort of type, so I might be a bit guarded there... I'd err on the side of friendship first to put it briefly. :-D

Most Helpful Girls

• Well, not all people who have left an abusive relationship are “broken”, and do not need to be lifted up or supported.
    Yes, this would be the case if the victim has just recently left the relationship, and has not yet had time to grieve and heal.
    However, if the person has had a good portion of time to recover, reflect, and move forward from their previous relationship, then the chances are high that they will be one of the strongest, resilient and most courageous people you’ve ever met.
    The reason I say this is because I was in an incredibly abusive relationship. I know that if i’d Entered another relationship straight away, then I would have become dependant on him for my self worth and confidence, as I still would be been very fragile.
    However, I did everything I could to recover, which included nurturing myself, surrounding myself with people who love and support me, reflecting, intense counselling, praying about it, going on a holiday, looking after myself physically, and getting back into my hobbies. Oh, and another thing I did was stay away from any kind of dating for a full 12 months.
    And now, 12 months later, I’m so glad that I took the time to fully recover.
    I’ve just started dating someone new, and I also have a deep inner joy and confidence... much more than I had before my abusive relationship experience.

• I'm not sure It's actually a hard question to answer you have me baffled.
    Being In an abusive relationship, can also make the victim very hard to be around and have some issues. I recently got out of a very serious relationship and It effected me a lot yet my current boyfriend put up with the fact I was a bit all over the place.

In the end I think I would, but I'd maybe not go too full on until he was ready, and let them take time to heal themselves, as If they lean on you too much they won't have a good time when you're not around, as they rely on you.

But yes I would, you need to help people during these times, as getting out of tough situations yourself In general Is very hard.