How do you get over an ex when you know you still love them?

My ex and I broke up a year ago, and I still have feelings for him whenever I see him. I don't know why this is happening, especially since I have had a boyfriend since then. He was my first love, and people say that you will never forget your first love, but I feel like it's more than just that. We are still good friends, and whenever we see each other or hang out, I get those feelings around him that I always got when we were together. The only problem is now he has a girlfriend so I know that I have to let him go, and that things will never spark up for us again, but it is extremely hard to let it go. I always tell myself that I am happy for him, and he is moving on with his life but then I see him, and whatever I told myself just went flying out the door. Everyone tells me that I have to let him go and that we had our chance, but I don't feel like he is completely over me yet either. Over this past summer, we hung out and he kissed me and told me that he still loves me and wanted me back. At the time, I knew that I still loved him too, but I knew I couldn't take him back. My parents aren't thrilled with him because he had to drop out of college and my friends aren't to happy with him either. It is has been brought up hypothetically when I've talked to my mom about him and I back together. She says that she has no problem with him and that she likes him, she just doesn't see him as a long term relationship and doesn't want me marrying him. Now I'm only 20, so I'm not even thinking of that, but I could never get back together with someone my parents and friends don't approve of. But I don't know what to do, I can't get him out of my mind. I still love him and it is preventing me from moving on and starting new with someone else. Please help!

21

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been there and I know how you feel..I have been in a relationship now for almost 4 years, and I still find myself thinking about my ex..My ex was my first love and the person I seen myself being with...long story short we weren't ment to be..well then I met my boyfriend who I am still with and fell completely head over hills for him...yes I do love the guy I am with now with all my heart, but when I seen my ex I still get a hole in my stomach and start to wonder what if...?

I don't believe anyone gets over the first person they ever really love because they will always have the memories and thoughts of what if?

Good luck with everything and I hope it works out!

• Hey can you Please shoot me a message I need help with something, given you're close to my situation I would like some advice. thank you

What Guys Said 1

• There's a great book I would recommend for you it's titled "How to fall out of love" by Debora Phillips. It really helped me =) Go to the library and get it or try to find it online.

What Girls Said 1

• This is the worst! God help you. There is always that one guy you will never get over. The best thing I ever did for myself when the "love of my life" and I broke up was to get the hell out of Dodge. I got out of the whole state of God-forsaken Michigan and moved to happier and warmer climates. If you can't physically leave, then buy a first class emotional ticket and quit talking to him. Limit your dealings with him to smiles from across the room if you run into each other at the local Appleby's. Maybe a simple "hello.. I'm doing great." Of course allow yourself the occasional cyberstalk of him and/or his current ugly Girlfriend and hold on to what ever scraps of your tattered heart for someone else.