How do you deal with breakups?

Do you talk about it with a good friend? Does talking about it makes you feel better and help you move on? OR do you prefer to just distract yourself by keep yourself busy?

1028

Most Helpful Guys

• For the worst case (break up 3 weeks before marriage), I did not find it that helpful to talk about it. It kind of re-opened the wounds, if you will. At the same time idle distractions weren't really keeping my mind off of her.

What helped me most was finding new passions, hobbies, things that encouraged me to work hard towards a goal. I picked up things like fitness and revived my old interest in drawing and writing music as well as meeting new people and going camping together and so forth.

After a while I was waking up in the mornings so motivated to pursue those goals that she slowly started to move to the back of my mind. It's like I replaced the dream of her and us with other dreams that filled me with a sense of purpose.

• Wow, that's actually very good thing to do.
      "It's like I replaced the dream of her and us with other dreams that filled me with a sense of purpose."

That's awesome. I'm sure your opinion will help many people who are trying to deal with breakups! Thank you so much for sharing your experience. :)

• ... things of this sort. But when I finally started recovering, that's what it finally felt like on the second year when I realized I woke up one morning excited to do something and wasn't thinking about her at all. I managed to finally replace the dream of her and us with another dream.

• In that one case I actually felt like I lost all purpose to living. I was never so close to my family or anything and maybe, at the time, she was the only one I really deeply loved. So I got a bit of a death wish, got drunk a lot, arrested. I almost got fired from my job because the quality of my work plummeted during the first year and my managers were like, "We're only keeping because you did such exceptional in the past. But you need to start fixing things." And they suggested I keep my mind off of her by focusing on my work, but actually when I was working I was most prone to daydream and miss her. So the cure for me was finding passions outside of work.

• does depend on the break up but if communication and answers to questions why are met... there is no reason why a breakup has to be difficult... or end in two people hating each other... or not being friends

I try to remain friends if i can, especially since before i go out with any girl/woman I like to get to know them as a friend and consider them as such before hand... so going out with them just brings us closer, it doesn't mean you stop being their friend... or them your's and as such if things ended amicably then I like it to return to such dynamic...

it makes it easier moving forward...

so I prefer closure to any situation and then I prefer to look forward and get on with life... if someone wastes my time i dont have time for them, if someone is hurtful or vindictive and decides to not be a part of my life then that's their choice... I have a lot of love to give and can't waste my time on anyone who won't appreciate it

• That's very wise. I agree with you and I tried to be their friends after breaking up. But it didn't work out, they just wanted to be in relationship, they didn't want to be friends again. With my current boyfriend, it's scary. If I ever break up, we will never talk to each again because sadly we were never actually friends. We had interest in each other since we met. But it would be nice to be friends with someone I was in relationship with someone I used to be in a repationship with. Will be nice to know how are they doing. I'm not so keen on being friends with one ex though, who didn't give me closure. That was the most painful thing ever and now he wants to be friend. I don't have time for that.

• Definitely! I think you have got yourself a new follower, lol :)

• thanks, likewise :)

Most Helpful Girls

• I try and keep myself thinking about other things or people, but I suppose its from whom the break up comes, my first love went away and it took me ages to get over him, my second boyfriend well I stopped seeing him so it was easy, everything past that has been alright

• I can imagine. Forgetting about your first love can be very difficult. It does take ages. If I ever breakup with my boyfriend, I don't think I'll be able to move for a whole decade or more. It scares me.

Thank you so much for sharing

• I cry a lot, eat my favourite food (I know it's shitty thing to do to yourself, but I am not someone who indulges always so...) , watch uplifting movies and keep myself busy.

• Ah.. I do the same thing except eating my favourite food. I lose my appetite for days or even weeks. After few days/weeks, when I finally accept that it was for the best and we are not going to get together like ever but I still feel miserable then I eat junk foid. Lots of chocolates, brownies, ice creams and friend food. It does help in comforting and uplifts the mood :)

• It's not a shitty thing to do unless you get addicted to it!