If you were to have only 4 senses, what's the one you would want left out?

Tough one, I would say smell or taste.

3857

Most Helpful Guy

• taste. Smells are nicer.

What Guys Said 56

• Taste... then I can give up my inability to eat veggies and be able to eat healthy.

I'd keep smell just so I'd be able to "Smell her perfume" and such. And so I don't do something like put some random aftershave on and realize it doesn't stink

Sight and Touch and Hearing are kinda obvious.

• Hmm, my spidey sense. It's more trouble than it's worth.

• At first I thought smell was the obvious one but then I did some thinking.

If I get rid of smell I will never be able to smell a girls perfume or know if zi have B.O. Never be able to tell when a girls hair smells good or if my farts smell.

Now if I lost taste, I wouldn't really care what I eat. Which would make it a lot easier to eat healthy in stay in better shape.

So I'm gunna have to go with tast.

• I was going to say hearing, because I despise loud trucks, lawnmowers, sh*tty little sisters playing guitar, mothers singing crappy Anglican hymns, and so forth... but then I love good music far too much. So I'll say smell, because my sinuses are so clogged up that I already can't smell much, and it's no bother at all.

• Ahh me too, lame sinuses!

• In winter not as often cause it's freezing but otherwise, a fair amount.

• Ok well I cope by spending much of my time in my room with the window open and the door closed, because my family likes to keep the heat pumping out. And when I am downstairs I turn down the heat, and open some windows. And I go for walks, even in the winter. I think it helps. I haven't had a cold in many years.

• Taste, cause its really the only one that would come with a positive side. Without a sense of taste it would be much easier to eat healthy (since most healthy foods are god awful).

• Haha good way of putting it, but not all are so bad :) though I hafta say, I'm not a fan of seafood, which is supposed to be really good for you, so in that case, I totally agree!

• Thank you Tonks, I totally agree.

• good answer man. lol. didn't think of that, but man would it suck not taste good food from time to time

• Smell. Taste is up there too, but ultimately taste is what keeps you from eating something that could harm you. If something smells bad, chances are it will taste bad as well. But something could also smell bad, but really not be bad so taste is the indicator before you swallow your food.

• Nice answer, and that is true, but you can have someone else smell somethin for ya to see if it's good :)

• I guess I pit too much imagination into these types of questions lol. Most people have answered in the sense of living in civilization, I answered in terms of the actual use of my sense despite where I live. So if I were living in the wilderness, that's where my senses come in handy.

I add too much onto the question lol

• Lol, well that's a good answer too, it'd be a good situation to be caught in with those senses.

• this question got me thinking, first choice was the sense of feel, I'd wouldn't feel any physical pain then, but then I wouldn't wanna give up the sense of feeling pleasure, so yeah, I'd say I'd much rather give up smell

• Nice answer, yeah I wouldn't want to give up feel either.

• I would say sight. Without sight, ugly girls would get boyfriends. Fat girls might get boyfriends, and no one would care about looks anymore.

• When being blind, your other senses start developing. And did you really think that looks wouldn't be important(I'm not saying only slim girls are beautiful) when you're blind? You still have the sense of feeling. :)

• Haha yeah, this may not chane so much from today. And like LisaMay said, they'd be multiplied.

• But then people with lisps and such would be even worse off :-)

• Remember, smell affects taste a lot... I'd give up my sixth sense of finding only crazy females.. :P

• I'd leave out taste. I eat for effect and not for taste anyway, and without taste I wouldn't be tempted by soda and chocolate anyway, so it would be brilliant.

I'd be a lot more debilitated without a sense of smell, though. Smell alerts you to important hazards nearby, like smoke, gunpowder, cyanide and sulphurous compounds.

• But at the same time, taste is your defense to keep you from eating something harmful, like raw food.

• MMMMMMMM.

Cyanide and sulfurous Compounds

• I enjoy the taste as much as every other guy, but I couldn't live without their smell :(

• I was going to say smell because mine is already pretty bad - in fact, most "pleasant smells" (wait, what) just cause me to cough. This applies to most flowers and basically everything with a strong scent. Sooo... I was thinking I would not need it.

But in fact, it's necessary for checking if the milk has gone bad, or if some food is still edible. It's necessary for survival. Same goes for taste, sight and hearing. So touch is the least essential.

• Haha I thought about that too when it came to smell...the whole milk thing...yuckk. Sooo I agree.

• but without touch it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to know when you've made such a mistake. you would not know that you've made contact with a hot stove until you begin to smell your burning flesh, for example. and sorry if I'm a little biased. I've been researching pain perception (and, obviously, studying up on all sensory processes in the process) for the past 3 years, so focusing on a singular topic for so long has a way of making you a bit crazy ;-)

• You know, when I meant touching, I meant sensing through your skin on purpose, with your hands and legs and your body. I didn't mean think about touching about how it's necessary to swallow so you know milk is in your mouth and stuff. :P But I guess you're right, you wouldn't notice burning your stomach with an iron by accident if you didn't have the ability of pain perception P:

I didn't think about it that throughly, you know. xD But I know what you mean-I have issues with economics that way.

• well I can't give up my sight, or my hearing... hell no I'm not giving up my tact... so its between taste and smell. hmm, I love taste because of food, but I love smell because it helps me love my girl more... I guess taste, cause then I could eat healthy and it wouldn't taste like anything, I could get rich for eating nasty things on TV lol

• Common. :P

Because I've been told I tend to lack that already.

• smell, jobs like taking out the trash would be much easier

• hmm, that's a very good point. There are just as many bad smells as there are good.

• lol but you won't be able to smell gas, c02 and things that can kill u.

• I would say smell, mainly because I have a very poor sense of smell already, so it wouldn't be much of a loss to me.

• Yeah if I had to choose it'd be the same for the reasons you said.

• Well, let's see. Sight and hearing are critical to communication and are the most developed senses of humans. Feel... Nope I would not want to have CIPA. Taste monitors the income of nutrients in the body making sure it has what it needs. And it also makes sure you don't swallow any poison. So I guess my choice is the sense of smell. I already live without it anyways.

• But isn't it true that you can't taste things without the sense of smell? When I plug my nose I taste nothing...

• I kinda am without both, maybe it depends on the severity? But well said :)

• smell helps but I can't smell a thing. so It doesn't really matter

• Hearing, because I am already half deaf, might as well make it completely deaf. If I take away any of the others, I would be without whichever one it is, plus being half deaf.

• Smells because of what one guy said. You get nothing out of smelling. I WOULDN'T WANT TO AT ALL LOSE TASTE THOUGH... Although I probably would lose it. Since as most people know, smell and taste work together.

• They do work together, hah my system is sorta messed up, and those two are kinda wacky :(

• taste because half of when you eat is your smell anyway

• id go withoutt taste. This way you can resist all that delicious food and snacks. Even broccoli would "taste" or seem the same as lets say, chocolate. So you could be a lot healthier without taste :)

• Taste, you can still smell if the food is any good ;-)

Wasn't that hard for me to decide :-)

• I'd rather be blind. Sense of smell is my strongest sense. And I'm already deaf. So I'd rather be able to hear, than not see.

• Probably taste if I had to chose. Vision and Hearing would be my last choices, then smell, then touch. I can still taste things a bit with smell too

• Smell for me... then I would have no worries about eating Taco Bell ever again YAY!

• Hah you don't like the smell of Taco Bell?

• lol no not so much the smell of Taco Bell but the smell that comes AFTER eating there if you know what I mean :D

• LOL, that's funny.

• Smell. I love smell but I like taste more and without any of the others I'd be really disbled.

• thermo sense

yes there's up to 21 sense on your body

is feeling heat or balance not a sense?

think about it

• Hmm yeah I spose you pose a really good point, now ya got me thinking...

• sry, "spicy" was a bad example, as what we perceive as spicy is actually the result of the joint activation of separate sensations of touch (thermoreceptors) and taste (usually combinations of salty, sweet, and sometimes bitter...i.e. cilantro). I meant to say "sour."

• Hah great explanation WonderingNomad :) Not nerdy, but highly interesting! Unfortunately, this answerer- Biggus_Dickus isn't on here anymore. Crazy stuff. But I'm glad you answered back anyway!

• Definitely smell. All the good smells just tease you. They don't satisfy you in any way.

• Smell and hearing alternating. So I can hear what I want to hear.

• I only have 4 as it is. Unless you count the 6th one

• Ha what would you consider the 6th one? Everyone says somethin diff..

• The 6th is intuition. It's pretty cool.

• I think it's my most sensitive one.

I over think everything. But whenever I just go with the flow and rely on my instincts everything works out somehow.

• hmmm good question! I would have to say hearing..

Most of the things today are very noisy

• Thank you :) do you know any sign lang? I know a little, it's interesting, but I like your answer bc, it's so true. Too much going on though I would sometimes miss music. Well at least the world would be more peaceful.

• More from Guys
    26

What Girls Said 38

• It's a toss up between smell & taste. Sight & hearing are too important to lose, & I defiantly wouldn't want to lose touch. I wouldn't mind losing taste so I could eat healthy foods, but I think I'd pick smell if I really had to choose. Most of the time I can't smell anything unless it's really strong because of my sinuses. But it is nice to smell something that has a great scent, like cologne.

• Oh my gosh, I have the same sinusy problem you do, it's a pain!

• Many people say "It would be great to lose my taste, I can eat healthier and wouldn't be tempted by junk food" But imagine how boring it would be to eat without taste.. Without taste we would pretty much forget to eat. Only when we become super hungry we realize we need to eat. Imagine eating an broccoli and not being able to taste it.. it would smell awful and all we can feel is a mushy feeling in our mouth without any taste.. gross.

This question has made me realize how lucky we are to have all five senses :) I would be really sad if I had to give away any of them.

• maybe to feel that way I can never feel physical pain

• wow I should have though of that! that's a good, very good point.

• You know. there is a genetic disease that does that, it's called CIPA (Congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis). Quite rare.

• Ohh boy, I wouldn't want that. And said, I have never heard of that, quite interesting.

• Smell. Nothing I smell is usually too great anyway.

• Taste, I think. I can't think of any foods that I can't live without (and thus enjoy the taste of). Your sense of smell can prove to be much more useful than taste. I can't think of any noxious gases that are apparent via taste.

• Ohhh ya know that is a very clever one, none else has said that.

• taste, most definitely...I'd probably have none of the weight issues I have right now if I couldn't taste anything.

• I'd say smell, but then again... you don't know what you'll miss until it's gone. And I want to enjoy food to its fullest.

Man, that's a tough one.

• I would have to say smell. Yes, perfume and candles smell great, but I could do without the nasty smell of a skunk, haha!

• Taste. maybe I would lose weight faster if I didn't have cravings for yummy foods. I could eat anything healthy with a bitter taste without complaining. I would still be able to smell the wonderful things around me, but disgust or obsession through taste wouldn't be an issue. And I'd be much less picky about foods. Definitely taste. Although I'd want to be born that way. I think it would be hard to have taste taken away after having tasted so many good things. At least if you're born that way, you don't know anything else.

• Oh great answer! I like how you really thought hard about it and said that bit about being born without taste. I don't think anyone else said that.

• I wouldn't want any left out but if I had to choose it would probably be smell. I can't imagine life without vision, taste, hearing and touch. What a tough life it would be

• Smell, everything else I'm much too attatched to :)

• My sight. I mean, I'm already legally blind without my glasses and it's only going to get worse. I'm going to be completely blind eventually anyway.

• Aww that's a bummer

• You have my sympathy.

What's your Prescription?

Laisks not Possible?

• I have no idea about either, just that my eyes just keep getting worse and worse... If I can I may get surgery, but I'm not sure if I really want to. I know it's something I should really want, but I'm on the fence about it

• hmm... I think also smell

but I have allergies and sneeze a lot so if I lost my sense of smell then hopefully id lose my allergies as well :P

• smell but I love good smells.. connecting smells to memories and people and times and places.. gahh. I would really hate to lose any senses.

• Oh I didn't even think of that, smells totally connect memories...Ha now ya got me thinking.

• Most complicated question ever! aha

• Lol good thing we don't really hafta choose.

• taste because I have a poor sense of taste so I wouldn't really miss it I judge food more on texture then taste I hate jell-o lol...

• Smell...

I would rather die then be blind or deaf...

• Taste. It would be the best thing for a diet ever, because you can't taste anything, therefore won't get cravings ;)

• smell =P I always have a blocked nose anyway haha! =)

• hmmmmm...taste. I would just smell my food like crazy when eating

• Definitely smell! Haha, I couldn't live without the others.

• smell

• umm... without question, SMELL

• smell is something I can do without out.

• Probably smell.

• taste :) I wouldn't over indulge :)

• TASTE

• Taste... Definately!

• smell

• Smell :D

• taste

• More from Girls
    8