My boyfriend broke up with me to work on himself, should I wait on him?

My boyfriend broke up with me to work on himself. He said that he isn't the person he should be and as a result, he isn't being a good boyfriend. He is graduating and moving about 4 hours away from here. He told me that he wants to be with me, but just not right now. He feels like with the way our relationship is right now, distance would ruin it. He said that he definitely wants a future with me, but he doesn't want to ruin that chance now. He also told me he didn't want to cut me out of his life, but he hasn't talked to me or anything and won't answer my messages (I literally told him congrats on graduating and he left me on read). He offered to take care of my cat over Christmas break so I'll have to see him in a month. He also said he doesn't want to date other people and that he wants to talk eventually but he feels like if we talk I'll think that we are going to get back together soon. I don't know what to do, I love him but he's being distant and cold and I don't know how to react. I want to believe him but I'm also scared of getting hurt. I do want to spend the rest of my life with him, but the way he is acting now makes me want to resent him.
Update you guys: he called me today and basically told me that he doesn't care about anyone right now and that he doesn't want any kind of relationship that takes maintenance. He says that he doesn't owe me anything and that he wasn't asking me to wait but just saying that he wants a future with me. He told me that he doesn't care what I do or if I move on. He was yelling the whole time and being really mean. I'm literally so hurt.

46

Most Helpful Guy

• He wants a future with you, but he doesn't want to ruin that chance?
    that's the dumbest excuse I've ever heard in my life.
    it's a BORING show, I've seen it before and I wouldn't recommend you watching it. girl, when a guy says and promises you with marriage, future, and kids, pack your bags to leave because he's lying.

• You don't deserve it, but it happened. No matter how painful, at least you've got the answer that won't make you hanging between earth and sky anymore. It's your time to reevaluate everything you thought you knew. Take your time and space.

Most Helpful Girl

• Wait maybe three months for him, any longer just forget it. Sure, it’ll suck moving on, but you deserve to be happy too. And waiting hurts. I hope things go well for the both of you