Is he just trying to be nice? Why is my cheating ex boyfriend who is soon to be married suddenly reaching out to wish me happy holidays?

I have not had many relationships, and by all means am certainly open to maintaining friendship with exs if possible, but my ex cheated for months with the women he is soon to be married to and became abusive when I confronted him about the cheating, so why after more than a year do I suddenly get the text messages? I reached out a few months after he got engaged hoping with his new found love and happiness he would provide closure and truth to what really went on; he became defensive I think attempting to bait an argument to which I never responded, i told him specifically that is why i reached out in email not text because i did not want back and forth was not trying to blame him, just wanted to hear what happened and how I got in the mix especially when two months before his proposal to me he had been texting me how he missed me and thought about me everyday. If he's simply trying to be a nice guy why now, why not explain what happened or apologize for becoming abusive? I'd love to be in a good place with him, but how do you forget the abuse when no closure or apologies were given; I loved him with all my heart and best of luck with his future, but why leave me in pain if you want to be a nice guy now. Again I have had very few relationships, but most of my friends have said they do not maintain contact with exs and none of which experienced as toxic of a situation, so why now?
2
1