How long/Were you able to have a platonic friendship with an Ex?

lol
lol
Just wondering if you have had a platonic friendship with your ex after you two broke up and how long it lasted! What were the hardships of the friendship you had to overcome? 😎
  • I couldn't because we both had new relationships!
    Vote A
  • I did, for a few months--but then we got back together!
    Vote B
  • I could and our platonic friendship is still strong!
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I never really keep in contact once we break up. They are no longer in my life. I have no reason to see them anymore. We aren't a couple... I hang out with my friends and date new girls and don't keep talking or hanging out with exes.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's easier than it sounds.

If she didn't hurt or humiliate you in any way, You just treat her like a human being that just happens to have previously dated you.

Actually come to think of it that doesn't sound difficult at all when it's written out.

Weird isn't it?

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I only managed to build up a friendship with an ex once (I got the others on Facebook but that doesn't really count), it took us about 2 years after the breakup not to be awkward around each other anymore. Now, after about 8-9 years we are still friends.

1|0
    0|0
    • How long should I wait to rekindle a friendship with someone I was very serious with... lasted over a year. It's been about 2 1/2 years!

• That depends on how long both of you need to really get over the breakup. It's also not necessary that it'll be possible at all, only if you really have enough in common to build a friendship on. Common memories of the relationship aren't enough.

• Same music... and we broke up because his anxiety meds and bipolar meds made him lazy and weird. We also had different sexual interests. BUT I have a boyfriend/Dom now. Unfortunately he wouldn't like me doing this and now thinking about it, I couldn't be friends with my ex AND be with my current boyfriend without feeling weird.

• LOL, that crap doesn't work.
    To the lucky few that can stay friends with your exes, I salute you as that is not easy and does not work most times!

I tried to stay friends with one of my exes after we broke up. We broke up on good terms so it seemed ideal. And for a few months it worked out great!
    Until he started telling some of our mutual friends things I told him in confidence that I did NOT want him telling other people! Even about our sex life! I felt so hurt and disgusted by his inability to respect our privacy, past or not, so I cut things off with him.

My other ex, the one that cheated on me, wanted to be friends with me... the day after we broke up.

Really? He cheated on me and thought I want to stayed friends?
    Yeah, he got the block and delete treatment as well, lol.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 14

• All my breakups ended badly save for one. We are still Facebook friends but never even talk. One time me and an ex broke up for a bit then got back together, but I haven't really ever had good friendships with any of them.

2|0
    0|0
  • I have an ongoing platonic friendship with an ex for over a decade. It was a mutual break up with no hard feelings though.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am not friends with any of my exes because once I am broken up with someone I am done with them.

3|0
    0|0
  • Its been 5 years and my ex is still my best friend. I'm even friends with her boyfriend.

1|0
    0|0
  • Fuck no. ;)
    Once it's over it's OVER. Done. Finis.

0|0
    0|0
  • About a year and a half.

1|0
    0|0
  • Going on 7 years now

1|0
    0|0
  • Never. I’m not stupid

0|1
    0|0
  • Never and I would never try

0|0
    0|0
  • Not long actually

1|0
    0|0
  • We are still good friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • True friends with only ONE ex. We are closer now than when we were dating. I have nothing to do with the others.

1|1
    0|0
  • One of you is always going to have stronger feelings than the other. I truly believe that a “platonic” friendship is near impossible after you have been intimate for months or longer.

However I do think exes can be friendly just as long their was no cheating or abuse. It’s extrremely cruel and selfish to cut someone completely out of your life after you have known each other for so long. Both my last exes brutally cut me off. Both wanted absolutely nothing to do with me. There was no cheating or abuse in either case.

Funny how my last ex kept posting on her twitter account that she “changed” after the split. She’s just trying to justify being a selfish piece of shit. She even got a tattoo on her arm talking about “change”. I think her conscious haunts her though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t know if you call this friendship, but we text every now and again, it seems to work, if feels we are talking to much, I usually stop texting back, we still love eachother so, this is the only way It could work, she has a new boyfriend and I want her to be happy

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 11

• None of the above. It lasted about 10 seconds which was the time it took for me to realise I had been dumped. Never seen him since.

1|0
    0|0
  • A month. Until he bragged he got a job before me then i got a job better than him. LOL that ate him up. Thank you, next

1|0
    0|0
  • I was friendly (regularly hung out with an ex due to us having mutual friends) for a few years but I haven't seen him in a couple years due to a split in the group.

1|0
    0|0
  • i couldn't because he said he has enough friends💀💀

1|0
    0|0
  • I voted C. My first boyfriend is still my platonic friend.

1|0
    0|0
  • C. I have with one but we are just platonic friends - only the holiday greetings etc

1|0
    0|0
  • I don’t think exes can be friends. I blocked both my exes. They have no way to ever contact me again.

1|0
    0|0
  • It lasted 2 days 😂

1|0
    0|0
  • We just couldn't

0|0
    0|0
  • Not possible

0|0
    0|0
  • Zero