How to deal with a break up as a result of an antidepressant?

Over the past year I had started developing anxiety and depression due to a traumatic event that had happened which became difficult to wrap my head around. There was a string of bad luck that had followed but this is not the purpose of this post. I recently got a girlfriend, now an ex-girlfriend, and things did not end well. We both went home from university for the Christmas break and while I was home my doctor prescribed me an anti depressant. I had a bad reaction to the anti depressant, causing me to have even more anxiety, and yes I will admit it made me very needy towards my now ex-girlfriend. I was honest about everything that had happened with her but she broke up with me over my reaction to the anti depressant. I don't want her back, I think this is a terrible way to treat a person, but at the same time I want to get over this anger in a healthy way. When she opened up to me about her anxiety I was there for her, I guess I was just hoping for the same.

I guess I don't really have a question and am just looking for opinions from others.

1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 2

• You became needy , and because she suffers from anxiety too, she probably just couldn't deal with it. She probably ended , coz of the way your reaction made her feel. I believe a persons mental health is paramount. It should have priority over everything in life. So although she appears to be selfish , it may be something she needed to do for the sake of her own mental health

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

I mean I hear you, and I do agree in certain aspects, but it sucks because I was very patient with her problems and I only asked for patience once. I stopped taking the medication and have been doing better. I'm all for her taking care of herself but I still don't think it's fair that she asked for patience from me but when I asked for it in return it blew up in my face. I hear what you are saying, and I do agree, but why was it right for her to ask for patience but not me?

• Show All
    • 7d

I'll keep these words in mind throughout my day.

Cheers, have a good one

• 7d

No problem. Take care. I hope you find peace with it all ❤

• I guess think of it as a good thing you found out early that she wasn't able to support you in a crisis. You deserve someone who can. And who values your relationship enough to work hard at it

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

• Yeah, you dodged a bullet.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes