I'm having a very difficult time deciding no contact with my ex (long)

We've been friends since we were 14. I've been with him for 5.5 years and it was really a good relationship...I'm turning 22 and he's turning 23. So it's been a long while...we've been long distance for 2.5 years and I supported him in the Army for 2 years.

A few days ago he broke up with me crying really hard l like I've never seen. Said his feelings have changed for me and that when I visited it didn't come back. That he tried really hard for it to come back but he has no control over his feelings and he wanted it so bad to work. But it's not fair to drag me along when he is feeling this way. He honestly has no idea why it happened...he thinks maybe the Army and distance caught up to him. He is busier than ever..and will be even more busy once he deploys to Afghanistan and comes back.

He wants to be friends...we've known each other forever. I want to stop contacting him because

1. I want to break the habit of talking to him every day for 5.5 years

2. He's been contacting ME but I don't want to get my hopes up and wait for his text every day and wonder why he hasn't called me on a diff day.

3. I don't want to be hurt seeing what's on his Facebook page although he promised he'd monitor it until I feel better...

He couldn't sleep last night and called me and asked if he could please call me when he needed me to talk to. For all these years, I was his confidant...he talked to no one else but me really. I know everything. I told him, "No." but I'm unsure now because I don't want him to resent me for not being there for him one day when he needs me. But at the same time I don't want him to have his cake and eat it too.

I'm at a lost...I'm afraid we'll drift apart and make things worse with no contact. He doesn't want to do this. But I feel like if we were to be truly friends...even after 3 or 4 months of no more pain and feelings...then he'd still want to be friends. If not, then he never really wanted me as a friend but as a comfort pillow.

He's been the one to contact me since the break up...I thought about erasing his Skype, AIM, Facebook, and no phone calls.

How will I know when I'm ready to contact him and won't be hurt?
3
3