Do non abusive, faithful ex lovers deserve compassion?

I just get the feeling that we have a pervasive culture of, once we're done using someone's body, time, emotions and resources, that's a license to treat them as less than human and non existent in the world and even our own journey. It's like once we break up, the other person isn't a human being anymore and we can treat them as less than 2nd class. That person is now suddenly a thing to be afraid of as if we'd never had a bond with them ever, as if they never loved us or sincerely wanted us to be happy in the first place. Why do we choose this kind of behaviour? Why do we choose to live this way? And the reasons many of us breakup seem relatively petty to begin with. I may question this to. But I asked this question of compassion because it's as if on a wide scale, more people are treating the world like a zero sum game. And treating the world like a zero sum game is what narcissists, sociopaths and psychopaths do.Do non abusive, faithful ex lovers deserve compassion?
This isn't about being friends with your ex necessarily.

It's about handling an ex like human being and being more careful as to how your attitude and actions affect them. It's not as though thceir role in our journey was ever granted, especially their being faithful and non abusive like the question specifies.

917

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course.
    I mean, if he's an ex, the person who broke up doesn't have the obligation to keep being friends with them, but they deserve all the compassion, praise and appreciation in the world. And hopefully someone who'll hug them so tight, all their broken pieces will fit back together.