Did I do the right thing?

I broke up with my boyfriend after being together for a year and a half and I feel horrible about it. I love him with all my heart and doubt that he loves me. He says he loves me but we’ve been fighting a lot and it’s the same fight that we keep having over and over again (about money). He kept asking me for it because he was having financial trouble, he kept promising me every month that he was going to pay me back but failed to actually do it. I was making sacrifices for months and going without stuff that I really needed, to include paying my own bills because I was always giving money to him. I make $1400.00 a month yet have nothing in savings because half of that goes towards my rent, one portion goes towards groceries and the rest is what I was giving him. My shoes are falling apart, my car is in need of repairs, my clothes don’t fit anymore and I need new clothes, I’m maxed out on my credit cards and my friends are always asking me to meet up but I haven’t seen them in months because I never had any money to go out. Finally tonight he asked me for $600, because he had to go to court and needed money for the court fees (even though he knew that I had none) and gives me until Wednesday to come up with it. That was when I realized that he was never going to change and told him goodbye. He was surprisingly very nice about it. He said that he understood why I was leaving and thanked me for the time I spent in his life, then told me he would always love me from the bottom of his heart. I told him that if he straightens up his life and learns to stop depending on me for money, maybe i’ll take him back but until then it’s better this way. It really broke my heart to do this. Part of me wishes he had gotten angry and called me a bitch and whatever else just because maybe if he did I wouldn’t feel so horrible about it. Did I do the right thing?

24

Most Helpful Guy

• That's really sad. Grown ass man taking advantage of you like that. I mean anytime you mooch off of someone that's bs. But to mooch off someone who barely makes enough to cover their own bills is pretty pathetic. You deserve much better than that. I hope you are able to recover financially and emotionally. You seem to have a big heart. Best of luck!

Most Helpful Girl

• Not only did you do the right thing, you should sue his ass for all the money you gave him. As long as you have some sort of proof (texts, notes) that he owes you money, you can get it back.