Would you stop divorcing for the sake of your children?

Or is to just an excuse people use not to get divorced?

1217

Most Helpful Guy

• I have been in that situation so I can tell you what I did and my thoughts about it now. I stayed in a bad marriage for years. There were a few reasons for that, but one big one certainly was the children. I thought it was better for them if I stayed with their mother until they were grown. I only left after the youngest one had graduated from high school.

One of them told me later that it wasn't really that great being in a house where the parents had an unhappy marriage. That made me question whether I should have left sooner, but in the end I still feel like I made the right decision in my case because I think they'd have been worse off had I left when I first wanted to.

Other cases are different though. My girlfriend left her ex when their children were still in high school or middle school and in her case I think that was the right choice because the environment for the kids after the divorce was better than before the divorce.

In my opinion, it really depends on how bad the situation is and whether the kids are likely to end up in a worse situation after a divorce than if the parents stay together until they are grown. That will vary for different marriages depending on the people involved and the overall situation both before and after a divorce.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think I could be with someone I didn't love. Yeah, it'd be hard for the kids but I'd allow them equal custody (as long as the dad wasn't abusive or anything).