Breaking up with my boyfriend, should I ask to take the dog?

I have been dating a man for almost a year, this man happens to own a sweet dog by the name of bear. Bear has anxiety problems and my boyfriend works full time while he's gone bear licks his legs and his hotspots never heal all the way. I have watched bear on quite a number of occasions and when I do there is marked improvement in his anxiety, especially his hotspots which tend to disappear after a week at my place. Bear is a great dog, he's four years old and went through my boyfriends divorce with him. I feel bad but I am worried about Bears wellbeing when I leave, I know he is being fed and all the essentials, but when he is with me he just does better. My boyfriend is a nice guy and this really is a 'he's just not who I want to marry' kind of break up. He is also in the military so if he doesn't want to part with bear but cannot keep him as a result of deployments or PCsing I would be happy to keep bear until he gets back even as his ex. Should I talk to him about keeping bear when I break it off? And how do I without seeming like I am just out to steal his dog?
2
5