Can a relationship last if both people are depressed?

I'm 23, Girlfriend is 24. We have been together for 4 years.

I was diagnosed with depression and severe panic disorder many years before I met her, however, it is off-and-on and I was fairly stable during the time I met her. This past year I have been at a constant peak with my depression and panic disorder and have been seeking professional help.

My girlfriend started going through depression for the first time. I honestly think that being around my depression was toxic for her and caused it.

With my depression I am very down, sensitive, and want my space. With her depression she is very angry, needy, and wants to be with me every day.

We agreed to both start therapy right away.

She went to 2 therapy sessions then quit. She said therapy isn't for her. She hasn't made any effort since then to seek help or engage in activities that could help. This really disappointed me and made me feel like I was alone in the journey.

I have been going to individual therapy twice a week, group therapy once a week, and seeing psychiatrist once a month. Also in 2 weeks I am starting an intensive therapy program which will consist of 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for at least 6 months. I am very serious and committed to getting better.

I suggested we breakup and take time apart to focus on our own health with the possibility of getting back together in the future. We are both severely depressed and with how opposite we are, we can not meet each others expectations (me needing patience and space, her needing patience and extra attention) and it causes arguments. She cried and begged me to stay. She said if we truly loved each other then we would stick together through the hard times, support each other, and help each other grow.

I'm not sure if she's right. I'm worried about making the wrong decision. What would you do?
Yes, despite being depressed, if two people love each other they should stay together and the relationship can work.
No, if both people are depressed the relationship will self destruct and can not work.
GirlGuy
0
1