Is he trying to get back at me?

After dating for a year and then on and off, I accepted that we just don't want the same things. I stopped seeing and talking to him, but a few months later I messaged him saying I know we don't really talk anymore, but I hope he is ok.

I felt bad that we broke up at a bad time with his friend being critically ill. We ended up meeting up on his birthday and twice more, but even though he wanted to be with me, it just won't work as he has no faith in relationships and isn't mature.

3 months later (on Friday) he text me saying "I know we don't really talk anymore, but I hope you're ok x."

I told him I get it, you're repeating what I said, and he said, no I just heard it somewhere :)

Why is he repeating what I said to him that time? I feel like he's joking around. I felt like we were finally going no contact at all permanently. Part of me wants to be friends, but I don't see how that's possible.
Is he trying to get back at me?
1
1