Have you ever broke up with someone that you were deeply in love with? How did it go?

I’ve been on and off with my ex. He was my first and only boyfriend. But we went through so much that at one point I felt that I just couldn’t do it anymore. My family is religious so it would almost be like choosing him over them, and at the time because of his decisions in life (cheating, etc) it wasn’t worth it. I broke up with him but never completely let go. Meaning, we would still talk and text from time to time. I think once I broke it off, he realized how much he really did love me and felt like going our separate ways wasn’t for the best. We were broken up for 3 years. Recently, we have gotten closer again; talking for hours on the phone, texting almost all day, and even having sex. It’s like we are together without actually admitting to being together. I can tell that he has matured and changed. I realized that I am still deeply in love with him but because of the past and my family, I feel like I can’t be with him and it hurts. I feel like I have to completely let go this time and I honestly don’t know how to do it. I feel sick with just the thought.
Has anyone ever dealt with breaking up with someone they were in love with? And if so, how did it work out? Did you find love again? Were you happy?
1
0