What does it mean if your ex is seeing someone new but hasn’t moved on from you completely?

My ex started seeing somebody a few months after we broke up. He had said he wanted to be alone but now he’s not. He said it’s not something serious like we were because he isn’t ready for it since he hasn’t fully moved on. He also said he doesn’t see a future for it. He said it was something temporary since he’s also planning on leaving for school. He’s contacted me to just talk and catch up since the break up didn’t end on bad terms. But if it isn’t something serious how come his sibling is following the girl on social media? What is he doing? Is he trying to just distract himself with this person? Why does he want to continue speaking to me if he’s seeing this person? He says he enjoys that we’re talking more. What exactly is he doing then? We were in a serious relationship for years, basically each other’s first love.
2
0