Is my boyfriend saying romance is not important?

So today I told my boyfriend my ex never liked to hold my hand in public and be affectionate and that’s one of the things that I felt I was missing in the relationship, and ultimately ended it. He said that’s not very important to end a relationship. He said he thought sex was the most important thing along with kissing and hugging but other things like playing with each other’s hair and giving each other massages is just special not important. Anyways I asked him what he thought was really romantic? And he said for example planning a surprise trip, but we can’t do that right now. I asked him if thought it was never important to be extra romantic? And he said yes I can say it’s never important to be very romantic as there are couples who are poor and are happy with each other but don’t have to be very romantic to each other. I’ve got really upset as I think it is important. He in the end said he does think it’s important sometimes, but important isn’t the right word but special is... what do you guys think? Is he a completely un romantic douche? Or is he actually making sense with what he is saying :(
Is my boyfriend saying romance is not important?
Add Opinion