Why is my ex boyfriend being so bipolar when he broke it off?

+5Xper
A few months ago my ex boyfriend ended our relationship, nothing too serious just a few months. We got toxic and he just couldn’t handle it anymore. I tried to get him back at first but then gave up because it wasn’t worth it, he wasn’t budging even though my friends said they could tell he was holding back so much but since his friends were around, we wouldn’t be surprised if his friends influenced him. We were pretty happy other than that. After the break up, he went dark for a few months until recently. I contacted him in hopes to start over but he said he wasn’t ready to even communicate. For a few weeks now he’s been stalking me or even sending his friends to stalk my page, coincidentally ends up in the same place as me at times. When we did speak again, he did admit to missing me but he seemed to be holding back again, yet again I’m not sure. A week after he got a new girlfriend, I didn’t really let it bother me until he blocked me and then unblocked me. He’s been sending so many mixed signals, what the hell is going on with him? I’ve been getting mixed replies from “He’s just hurt, he still cares” which I find to be BS to “he’s just being immature” Mind you he is the type of guy to be stubborn and bury all his feelings.
1