Is it common for guys to breakup with their girlfriend if they are scared/feeling like the relationship is moving too fast?

I recently got broken up with, and the reason was he needed time because of “work.” We have mutual friends and he apparently told his friends the same thing, so no one understands why this happened. My therapist said it was probably because he got scared and ran. In our 7-8 month relationship we have traveled to Europe together, our families met, steady communicated with each other’s families/parents, he would even take my brothers and dad out at his club for dinner. We were going to plan a trip with my parents this summer also. We’d speak about living together, etc. We didn’t have any real relationship issues either, and had tons of fun together. Could this reasoning be he got scared of going into a deeper commitment? Friends and family would always joke when we were getting engaged. This has hit me hard so I’m trying to find out why so we can move on. I haven’t spoken to him as I’m trying to give him space and move forward myself even though I am heartbroken.
2
3