What would you do in this situation?

Last summer I met and started dating an awesome man. He told me that he was divorced. I later found out that he was married but by then, I'd already been dating him for several months and had fallen in love with him. He said that they were getting a divorce so I stuck around. Now they're living separately and he keeps talking about how much he loves me and wants to be with me. However he told me that they've decided to stay legally married since she has a chronic health issue, can no longer work, and that she would lose health insurance benefits if they divorced. He said that he couldn't do that to her (cause her to be without health insurance). He told me that he loves me, we could live together, have kids, etc but that we could never get married because he wouldn't want her to lose health insurance. I don't understand this because couldn't someone with a chronic health issue get Medicaid or something? It just seems like a way to keep a tie to him since they have no children together. Would you stay with someone that you love but can never marry?
What would you do in this situation?
Add Opinion