What does a guy mean when they say that you're too different from them/that it just isn't going to work out? And how to deal with a guy like this?

So, the past two guys I have broken up with have said that above line, 'we're not gonna work out', 'we're too different people', and the whole, 'you deserve someone better, you're too good for me'. I've had time to think about this, and I just keep wondering, do they mean literally, or is it just an excuse of them basically saying they're not into me anymore and they're not willing to change for the better for me?

I've asked my guy friends and they've all said that it's usually an excuse, basically meaning the guy in question just doesn't think I'm worth the effort anymore or they don't want to change their lifestyle and who they are, even if it IS for the better.

Also, my ex from last year DID use it as excuse... he liked someone else but didn't want to tell me, so he really was into someone else and didn't want to try and make us work or anything.

But on the other hand, I talked with the most recent ex after we broke up, and he was all sincere about it, and like, you deserve someone who will give you the attention you deserve and be there for you, who's willing to put forth the effort for you, and I'm not that guy, we're too different and I've tried to change who I am and I did it with my last girlfriend as well, and I just can't... you deserve someone who doesn't have to fake who they are for you, someone who's real and will give you the time you deserve.

So, after getting both sides, I can't tell... when a guy says something like this, is it really genuine or is just an excuse? Maybe it depends on the guy? And if this is the case, do you think someone could work with this kind of guy and pull them out of them thinking they don't deserve you, or do you think they should be let go/let it be? Basically, if this were to happen in the future, how should someone, a girl, go about dealing with it?
4
4