If we weren't meant to be together, why did we find our way back so much?

Since 2013, my ex and I had two major break ups that lasted a year or more. Even at the beginning of us dating we'd have spells of not seeing each other while we were still casually dating.
We met as coworkers but lost contact after a few dates and my leaving the company not long after. But she found her way back into my life and we dated for real at that point.
But about 9 months later we broke up because she wasn't confident we'd last. As difficult as it was, I accepted it. But we constantly would randomly bump into each other or our family.
After almost two years apart, she reached out and we got back together and dated for almost two years. But she felt the need to break us up again because of some religious differences.
We still have run into each other or had something happen that was way out there and we've gotten into contact, but we haven't made up and it doesn't seem like we will.
In total, we got back together 5 times. 3 during casual senses and 2 during normal dating.
If we weren't meant to be together, why did we keep coming back into each other's lives?
2
0