What's worse going through your BF's phone or hiding it from the girl your seeing so she won't discover your seeing someone else as well?

I know it's wrong to go through anyone's phone. I know it tells a lot about the relationship and the lack of trust. It's over. I'm just really peeved over how he thinks he was SO right and so wrong. So in this scenario, who would be the one in the wrong (more so then the other)
the guy was caught lying about multiple things that someone close to them should know.. of at least not believe something not true.. the trust was no longer completely there. The girl tried to regain it but her intuition was getting the best of her. She knew something was up. One day she looked at his phone. And found a shit ton of stuff! Lies, betrayal, KIDS!! In months to come the guy tried desperately to explain himself. Never apologizing. But justifying. The girl still cared for him and missed him despite everything he did that hurt her, he promised no more lies, he would make it up to her blah, blah. He lied again, was seeing another girl at the same time they were "working things out" his excuses were 'thdy were not actually dating, the girl wouldn't stop 'opening a window'" so he would do exactly what she feared he would do and why she felt the need to investigate.
He says he loves her, but doing what she fears and what he swears he wouldn't.. is spiteful! Is it not? If he isn't willing to make any effort to prove otherwise he can be trusted, I think it's fair to see why the girl would investigate. ..
3
2