Should parents stay together "for the sake of the children" until the youngest is out of the house?

Looks like someone has been forgotten!
Looks like someone has been forgotten!
My father was a serial philanderer. He refused to be faithful to my mother (he may have had his reasons but they were not valid excuses) and he had numerous partners in his lifetime. They had three children - 1949 (sister,) 1952 (brother,) and 1955 (me) - and I suspect that my father knew exactly when he would finally feel free to walk away from the family. Then - whoops! - my mother had a baby in 1960, and the entire clock got reset. I don't know but I suspect that my mother got pregnant with the intentions of keeping my father tied to her a few years longer.
Should parents stay together
My father resented my younger brother. I almost never saw any affection between my parents. My dad stayed away from home when he could. He held a second job even though my mother also had a nice job and he did not need to have a second job. He took a vacation without the family and stayed gone for about three months. Then he took a job about 450 miles away from home.

It was a crazy, screwed up childhood and I don't think that they did me any favor by staying together. But. . . I don't know what life would have been like if they had divorced when I was a child. Maybe that would have been worse.

What do you think?
Yes, once they are married they should stay married for the rest of their lives
Yes, that is what's best for the children
Depends on whether they can live together amicably
Vote C
No, that is NOT what is best for the children
Vote D
No, that is just an excuse for them to avoid doing what they ought to do: divorce
Vote E
GirlGuy
39
48