Why be so cruel?

I was dating someone for a few months and we clicked in a big way. It felt smooth from the very beginning and we're compatible every area - it felt like a dream. He liked me so much he introduced me to his brother, the sex was amazing, the conversation was really good, everything just clicked. We even talked about what the future would look like with us. He was very excited about me because we're both read to settle down. I haven't felt this way about someone before. It was going along great and then suddenly he gets the news that he has to move back to another state in about a month. He's from a wealthy family and he's taking over his father's side of the family business. I'm really sad but at the same time - it's a 1.5 hour flight away and I'm established enough in my career to travel frequently. For some background, this guy moved to this city with someone else and she left him and broke his heart so he has some anxiety about moves. I discussed coming to see him every three weeks and trying long distance for at least a little while to see if I should move with him. He freaked out and called me a few days later and said "Look I don't like you that much - sorry. I have feelings for you but it's just not going to work out and I don't want to see you for another month because it's going to be too hard for me to leave. It never works out." I wanted to cry but I kept it graceful and thanked him for the memories. He got angrier and kept being more and more cruel and eventually ended the conversation with "Good luck, bye." And that was that. I'm devastated because of the way he broke up with me.
Why be so cruel?
Add Opinion