For Guys (girls): Office relationship maturely ended. But the guy (who broke it off) keeps staring just as he had been during the relationship. Help?

Great attraction with co-worker. slow progression, undeniable chemistry, l and passion. Everything was slow, regarding the pursuit from long conversations at the office to hanging out personally. But due to unexpected changes in our accounting department, we found ourselves placed in the same team, where he will be my supervisor. Right when things started taking a good turn where if we kept going at the same pace we could’ve very well officially date and start a relationship. All the conversations we had were serious relationship topics. We both realize we had the same views, etc.

However, one day during dinner I knew something was weighing on his mind. He had this struggling, depressed look and I knew in my gut something was going to happen. He said we couldn’t progress further due to work and the sudden change in teams. That people will find out and that wouldn’t be good for me who is starting my career (I just met my second year with the accounting firm). I was upset and he was too. He and I had so far at this point been doing a wonderful job separating personal lives from work. So I was truly shaken by it. But I refuse to show my feelings about this matter at work both bc of my pride and of the fact that I was sad and mad at the same time.

However, I keep noticing him staring st me every time I walk past his desk from the side or from behind, walk towards his desk, or when he walks or stands near me while someone comes and talks to me at my desk. I always catch him peek. And sometimes when I’m walking towards his desk and pass him (to get to my desk), he will stare and just stare. And I return the stare for a few seconds and looked straight ahead while he kept staring. This is how he acted when we were still a thing and when he was still pursuing us.

i don’t get it. HELP.
3 mo
Let me clarify. I agree with the decision. We both knew sooner or later it was going to happen unless one of us leaves the team. So I’m fine with that. I’ll get over it. I just wanted to know if there’s any meaning behind his stares. Whether our feelings for each other was mutual.
2
1