Should I really wait or just move forward?

Hey guys so I’m kind of stuck in a first time deal ever. This person I dated a long time ago we still happen to have a “CONNECTION “ I should say no it’s not sex at all I mean with still having feelings for one another. We stayed as friends he married and had kids all too soon way too soon after things were done with us. Basically rushed things after we broke it off. Now he’s in regret, she treats him like shit , and the does drugs, doesn’t work and does drugs with her kids being involved and he’s just not happy at all. He recently told me that he loves me , and wants us to be together and he wants to end things with her but since there is kids in the picture which I don’t mind he doesn’t know how to proceed. He wants us to be together and he just wants to be happy in general since he’s the only one working and putting in for the house and everything. I love him too and very much and I wouldn’t want his kiddos to suffer I just want them out of the current situation and well what’s going to be best for us all. He doesn’t know how to and what to do to divorce especially cause of the kids , and he really wants out and a better life and for us to be together. We both want to do things right so no there hasn’t been texts , phone calls , sex , being lovers nothing like that. I don’t want to be someone’s second just only one. Should I wait? Or just move forward? . Have any of you been in a situation like this? If so how did you manage?
Should I really wait or just move forward?
Add Opinion