My ex told me “Youve been on my mind everyday, and I need you to know I will always love you” after being broken up for 3 months?

We were in a wonderful relationship for 2 years, I am 21 and he is 23 and he broke up with me 3 months ago because he felt like there was just too much going on in his life and he didn’t know how to carry on but we agreed we still love each other and would like to try again after the summer since we won’t live close to each other over summer and we’ve talked a couple times since then but he recently randomly texted me that I’ve been on his mind every day and he needs me to know he’ll always love me then he said he hopes he see me soon and called me his special name for me that he hasn’t called me since we broke up. I’m confused if he means he’ll always love me as in we’re done? Why would he text me this so close to the end of summer unless he had intentions of reconciling? He’s never been manipulative or dishonest with me so I don’t think he’s being manipulative now but can anyone help me with this? Do you think he wants to reconcile or if he’s just being polite?
2
2