The phrase "if you can't love yourself you can't love noone else" Is true?

All my life I have been told that I'm ugly, stupid, talentless, boring etc. Etc. I was programmed to believe that Im not or will never be good enough. And you know how kids never forget those painful words well I have never forgotten them, their just on repeat in my head. All these 17 years have been depressing and reminders that I'm not enough. This summer I fell in love it was my summer love. I love him and he loves me and all I wish to do is make him the happiest person in the world. I never woupd have thought that my self issues would affect this relationship. Due to my issues and insecurities I cause problems and end up hurting my darling. I want to learn to love myself and forget the issues but I don't know how I try and try but end up failing. I don't believe that these insecurities will ever go away no matter what I do they'll always be there and it'll always cause problems. Which is why I decided to break up with him, I don't want to see him get hurt because of me. He knows about these issues and tries to help but I can't help but still feel this way. I love him but I know I'll forever have this and I don't want him to suffer with me.
2
2