Have you ever talked to an ex long after a breakup and received a surprising disclosure?

Now they can be much more civil towards each other!
As I was procrastinating my hurricane preparations this morning, I answered a question about a break up. The young lady wrote, with great confidence, that her ex had absolutely no reason to be angry with her as a result of the break up.

I am sure that she sincerely believes what she said, but is it actually true? Her perspective of the relationship is obviously biased ( no more and no less than his perspective is also biased,) and she is making assumptions about how the male brain operates on the basis of her intimate familiarity with her own female brain. I wonder. . . if she talks to him six months from now and they have both moved on and have no interest in reuniting, would he explain something to her that she never anticipated, never considered?

I have remained friends with one "ex" but it is a lady who moved four hours away. There wasn't a break up between us; we just said goodbye to seeing each other, so there was no break up to discuss. Have you ever sat and talked with an ex months or even years after a break up? Did he or she reveal something that was a surprise to you? If so, did that impact how you consider your partner's feelings in your other relationships?
9
9