Breaking up because of religion?

English isn't my native language so I will do my best. My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 10 years now. He is the sweatest, most kind and caring guy I've ever met. We love each other very much. When we first started dating we were both muslim. The last few years I started questioning everything including my religion so I became an atheist.

The problem here is that my boyfriend is still a muslim and when we get married en have kids he want's to raise our children as muslims. I realy don't want this (it's not even an option). I want my children to be free in what they choose to believe and not indoctrinate them from a young age. For him the opposite is not an option.

The only option left seams to be to break up, but this is so hard. He has been with me through everything for the last 10 years. My mom died 3 years ago and he was my biggest support. The fact that we love eachother so much and have a great relationship makes it even harder. I don't know what to do at this point.

Thank you for reading this long text and I hope you have some good tips for me.
Breaking up because of religion?
5
3