Sticky situation with ex. would appreciate any help?

My ex and I were together for almost three years when him and I broke things off over the summer because we were both about to start college. I was devastated because I loved him a lot and was set on making the relationship work. We both agreed on staying together and things just kind of ended abruptly. I recently found out that the real reason we broke up was because he wanted to be with other people in college, which honestly felt extremely shitty. Anyways, we both agreed on staying friends (which I don't know was a good idea), and have remained in touch since the breakup. We talk every day and things haven’t really changed. We still flirt, we still act like a couple in some ways, and I can’t say how much that pains me. I know that he talks to other girls and I just find myself obsessing over them and thinking what they have that I don’t and why he left me for them. I really want to get back together, but he keeps on telling me he wants to be with other girls, but then says stuff like “I love you” to me. I feel like I can no longer trust other guys because I feel like they’re gonna do the same thing to me as him. I’ve tried everything to get over him- I’ve tried cutting off contact, I’ve tried going on dates, and I only find myself missing him more and blaming myself for our breakup. It feels extremely shitty and it’s safe to say that I’m kind of miserable. I also hate the fact that I was the one that got my heart broken and he’s just living it up right now. I should be happy for him and move on myself, but I can’t bring myself to that. If any of you guys have any input or experienced something similar feel free to let me know. Any bit of advice helps
Sticky situation with ex. would appreciate any help?
Add Opinion