Husband and I are on the verge off seperation. Now he wants to try?

My husband and I have been having trouble for several years now. We went to therapy until he refused to go back. It didn't seem to help any. One of our biggest problems has been his mom. He moved her in saying she'd only be here a month or two. That was 5 years ago. She's physically attacked my mother. Harmed our animals. Freaked out my family and friends so badly they won't come over. He did finally ask her to leave 6 months ago but she won't go. Unfortunately the laws in our state make removing her very difficult and my husband won't go to court to evict her.
After one of our cars got sick and actually died because she was in my mother-in-law's room and she wouldn't let me get to the cat I told my husband I had enough and I was going to find a place and legally separate.
All of a sudden he wants to find a place together and start over. I don't know if I should trust him. I feel like he's said he was going to draw a line with his mom before and he never did. I'm almost mad because I love our landlord, our neighbors, and our area and he wants to move rather than making her leave.
All my friends think I should leave him. I am just so confused.
4