Please, help me?

We had been in a relationship for 5 months. I felt our love was growing deeper, because he was so sweet, affectionate and attentive, I couldn't wish better than that. I even lost my virginity with him, I let myself fall for him without regrets, but... after first sex, he told me he couldn't have it with me anymore. He felt like an asshole, because he realized he didn't love me. He thought sex would deepen his feelings, but it didn't. He said all the "I love you's" were just a try to work our relationship out. He said, I was really important to him and he wanted to stay close with me, be friends forever. I agreed.
Even thought we broke up peacefully 3 months ago, I realized I was shocked and now I find myself hopelessly in love, because those sweet feelings of mine haven't passed away. After 1 month he started dating his old friend, which he found attractive all that time. I feel devastated.
So, yesterday I couldn't help myself and told everything to him - that I'm still in love with him and I can''t just be "friends" with him. He felt really bad and suggested to take a break, He said he doesn't want to see me hurting and I should try to heal, so we can be close again. I agreed.
Now I recall all the memories of our relationship and feel deeply hurt by it. I cried all night. Because IT WAS REALLY GOOD. I was hoping for 3 months he would fall in love with me, but he changed his attention for another girl.
I don't know how to return to life. I feel like a failure. Unlovable. Unfuckable. If he really appreciated my presence, how could he treat me like that? Like an option? He begs me to understand him, that he's not that bad that he made a mistake and to forgive him. But I feel like by understanding him I will betray myself... even thought, I deeply love him and prefer understanding him.
Please, give me words. I need strength right now to not contact him. Support me, I beg you, the stranger, to support me because I don't have friends. Except this guy.
Please, help me?
2
2