Was I wrong ending our engagement?

we been together for almost six years and discovered he's living a double life. I keep my life private especially away from my abusive mother. She speak very negatively and dark about other people lives especially when they are happy. Before I even found out about the infidelity, she spreaded rumors around the town saying that he's married with multiple women. She even called the radio station with a scenario and placed my situation on air for the host to discuss it. She has never met him, but only heard his name, and gossip from other people. This morning I ended our engagement after him wanting to have a spiritual marriage and not wanting to commit. He wanted a wedding reception, but no wedding. All this time I have been planning our wedding, and then he says this. My mother been telling people that I've been dating the guy across the street as well. The guy that lives across the street has a woman staying with him. They been together for almost 15 years of no commitment. He have so many girlfriends and his live in girlfriend is okay with this. I was blinded by love and came to the reality that this is not what I want. I didn't know about the other women until today. I feel completely humiliated.
Was I wrong ending our engagement?
Add Opinion