(Super long backstory) How long does it take to get over an ex? It’s almost been a year now, is it something I just have to learn to live with?

I split up with my ex after we had been together for almost 3 years. He told me he wanted to take a break and that he would move out and stay with his cousin for 2 weeks and then we could decide if we wanted to be together or stay apart. I agreed to this break but I didn’t know in actual fact he rented a room and was leaving me for someone else he met at work. I found out two days into the break and he showed no remorse or emotion.

Its coming up to a year now that this split has happened and a lot has changed. He’s begged for me back and has been in tears and desperate... I told him I wouldn’t take him back straight away and gave him a week to prove to me he deserved another chance and all he did was just take me out and spend money. I told him it couldn’t work because no matter how much I love him I can’t ever trust or respect him again and then he went running straight back to this girl. Despite having said and done that, I look at his profile everyday, I still have the pictures of us, I think of him at least once a day and tried to message him a week or two ago and he actually blocked me.

I've been with someone else for 7 months now and although I feel like I love him I just can’t seem to say it... My friend said it might be something to do with being scared of getting hurt again. Perhaps subconsciously I think that if I don’t say those three words I’m saving myself from the day where he stops loving me like my ex did...

**This is gonna sound very strange... the guy I’m dating now is actually the Ex of the girl that my boyfriend cheated on me with... they were together for 8 years, have a son and recently had a split but he had no idea she was dating my boyfriend so he was still trying to win her back. We got together after two months of talking and as far as I’m aware, my ex is still with his ex.

Will I ever get over my first long term relationship? Am I just constantly reminding myself of my heartbreak by being in a relationship with this guy?
4
0