How do I get over my friend?

Basically - I’m completely in love with my close friend. He is in a serious relationship (although unhappy- he told me) and my feelings for him aren’t right. He told me just over a year ago that he had feelings for me but I didn’t say anything in return because I felt that it wasn’t right for me to say something while he is in a relationship.

I have tried pretty much everything to get over him... We don’t text anymore, hang out anymore or really see each other very often - although we work next door to each other, so I see him walk past and smile at me near enough everyday. I’ve dated other guys (really nice guys too) but I can’t help but love him. I don’t understand and it scares me that I still feel this way about him after so long and after dating a couple of really great guys. I just can’t help but feel like he is the one I’m meant to be with and will end up with.

So does anyone have any advice on what I can/ should do? It’s a vicious cycle haha, I think I’m over him but then I see him and I feel my heart drop and get butterflies everytime. Then on the odd occasion when we do actually speak, we get on so well it’s like we’ve never been apart and realise how much I miss and care about him.
How do I get over my friend?
1
1