Why do you guys think he got upset with me for asking this question during a deep talk/conversation?

Me and my ex started back dating after a two years of being apart. We broke up for personal reasons and he went on and dated someone else, even had another child. I also did, but I didn’t get pregnant or anything. They broke up back in September and he got back in touch with me. We haven’t done anything as far as intimately. Just texting and hanging out and catching up and the other day we were having one of those deep talks and I had asked him about if he really meant the things he has told me since we have started back talking. He’s been telling me things like how he never stopped thinking about me, how much he missed me and how he would rather have me around as a friend, if it comes down to that, than not have me around at all. How he hates to see me sad/upset at him and he doesn’t want to go that long without talking/seeing me again. It wasn’t that I didn’t believe those things but I know at our age, we can say things and mean it for the moment but not forever and it wasn’t like the question was random. We were having a similar conversation to that question and I wasn’t rude about it. Long story short his responded by saying that everything he has told me has come from his heart and that he has no reason to lie to me. We continued on with our talk and spent the rest of that day together. The next day I didn’t hear from him all day. Then a another morning comes, two days later and he texts me Good Morning. I responded by telling him that I thought he was mad at me and he told me that he was a little upset at what I had asked the other day and I don’t get why.
2
0