Do you think that you can't fully move on from an ex until you find someone else to move on to?

JustSomeGuy11
I'm curious as I suppose this fits into the idea of 'rebound' relationships. Almost as if you carn't forget about the feeling of being with them, until you replace that feeling felt with someone new.
I'm trying to figure out whether you 'know' when you've moved on from a past relationship, or whether it's just something you tell yourself.

Feel free to answer the question separately from the personal side of my situation:

My past relationship ended somewhat abruptly, to which afterwards we remained friends, which was great, but unfortunately for me I found difficulty in finding closure. A while down the line we met up, with me expressing that I still liked her but understood we didn't really match, with no reciprocation from herself it re-enforced the idea that a possible reignition of the relationship was off the table except this time with a bit more closure. Even longer down the line puts me here, I feel like I've moved on, but there are constantly things that crop up and make me doubt myself. I feel happy enough to date others and no longer feel bothered that my ex is no longer a apart of my present life.
I also acknowledge that it was my first relationship and may not have helped me move on in the initial stages.
I don't like the idea of rebound relationships nor do I feel the need for one. But I can't help but feel no matter how much I tell myself or feel like I 'know' that I've moved on, that there will be a apart of me that seemingly hasn't until I begin dating again. Is this normal?
Do you think that you cant fully move on from an ex until you find someone else to move on to?
11
10