Why did my ex (1-year relationship) wish me a happy birthday when we have been in no contact for 11 months?

Anonymous
I had told him long before the breakup that we would not be friends in case we broke up. He left and I did not beg or plead nor did I ever contact him since last February. I am still angry at him for taking me by surprise (when he had promised me that he would never do) and breaking up by text (when I know he picked up the phone to breakup with his previous ex, so he is capable of doing it properly) 1 month after I moved abroad for work giving only part of the truth (in my opinion), that is to say that he did not want to end up in a LDR again. He had been in one for 1 year and a half that ended badly just before entering one with me. He said he knew that I would not behave like his ex (extremely jealous, making him feel in a cage, etc) and that he had no reason for breaking up with me except he did not want a LDR again. Honestly, I cannot see a reason for a breakup had I stayed in the same city, except for the fact that I am Catholic and he is Muslim. He says it's not a reason but I am unsure based on some stuff he said over a year.

So now, he texts me a happy birthday out of the blue after 11 months of silence.. Does he want to feel less guilty or is he simply that disconnected from the reality of our relationship, that is to say that I had told him we would have none and sticked to my word?
3
1